Avoid Nonessential Travel
- 03/30/2015 Ebola standing travel notice. CDC urges all US residents to avoid nonessential travel to Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone because of unprecedented outbreaks of Ebola in those countries.
Take Enhanced Precautions
- 03/27/2015 Malaria advisory. CDC recommends that travelers to the central, mountainous, forested areas of Rio de Janiero State and Goias State in Brazil protect themselves by preventing mosquito bites. Prescription medicine to prevent malaria is not recommended for travelers to these areas at this time.
Security Messages for U.S. Citizens
- 03/27/2015 Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Armed Robberies of Visitors to Durban’s Japanese Gardens. The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa has declared the Japanese Gardens off limits to all U.S. government employees and dependents until the security situation there improves.
- 03/28/2015 Security Message for U.S. citizens: Floods red alert in the city of Copiapó, Chile. The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens traveling and living in the city of Copiapo that the Chilean government has declared a red alert and state of emergency due to the heavy rain and flooding affecting the city.
- 03/28/2015 UN strongly condemns deadly terrorist attack on Mogadishu hotel. The top United Nations official in Somalia along with the members of the UN Security Council have strongly condemned yesterday’s terrorist attack on a hotel in Mogadishu city that resulted in the death of many civilians, including the Somali Federal Government’s Permanent Representative to the UN Office in Geneva, Ambassador Yusuf Bari-Bari.
Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- 03/27/2015 Earthquake Papua New Guinea (7.5M). This earthquake can have a medium humanitarian impact based on the magnitude and the affected population and their vulnerability. Earthquake Magnitude 7.5M, Depth:40km. On 29/03/2015 23:48 UTC. 238546 people within 100km. Tsunami. The maximum Tsunami wave height is 0.4m in Rabaul, Papua New Guinea. This height is estimated for 30-Mar-2015 00:42:00.
- 03/30/2015 Ebola data and statistics. Reports 25 030 cases and 10 398 deaths in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.