Brought to you by the International Center Risk and Safety Office. Use this report to be up to date about risks identified by worldwide official and professional sources.
This information may change without prior notice
Avoid Nonessential Travel
- 04/02/2015 Ebola standing travel notice. CDC urges all US residents to avoid nonessential travel to Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone because of unprecedented outbreaks of Ebola in those countries.
Take Enhanced Precautions
- 04/01/2015 Measles advisory. CDC recommends that travelers to Angola, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ethiopia, protect themselves by making sure they are vaccinated against measles. Clinicians should keep measles in mind when treating patients with fever and rash, especially if the patient has recently traveled internationally.
- 03/27/2015 Measles Cases and Outbreaks in the U.S. From January 1 to March 27, 2015, 178 people from 17 states and the District of Columbia were reported to have measles [AZ (7), CA (120), CO (1), DC (2), DE (1), GA (1), IL (15), MI (1), MN (1), NE (2), NJ (2), NY (3), NV (9), PA (1), SD (2) TX (1), UT (2), WA (7)]†. Most of these cases [131 cases (74%)] are part of a large, ongoing multi-state outbreak linked to an amusement park in California.
Security Messages for U.S. Citizens
- 04/02/2015 Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens (Nairobi, Kenya): Reports of Attack in Garissa. The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi has received reports of an ongoing attack at Moi University, Garissa Campus, in Garissa, Kenya. According to the reports, there have been explosions and heavy gunfire at the school; hostages have been taken and al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the attack. While the city and county of Garissa are currently restricted for travel of U.S. Government personnel, we urge private U.S. citizens to avoid any travel in the Garissa area. U.S. citizens throughout Kenya are encouraged to remain vigilant, review their own personal security measures, and stay tuned to local media reports for the latest information on the situation.
Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- 04/02/2015 Tropical Cyclone MAYSAK-15 Philippines (286.5km/h). Tropical Cyclone MAYSAK-15 can have a high humanitarian impact based on the Maximum sustained wind speed and the affected population and their vulnerability.
- 04/01/2015 Syria: UN agency warns violence near refugee camp endangering thousands of Palestinians. Fierce fighting has erupted between armed groups in the area of Yarmouk, a camp of Syrian and Palestinian refugees, putting thousands of people in danger, warned the spokesperson of the United Nations agency tasked with the ensuring the well-being of Palestinians across the Middle East.
- 04/02/2015 Africa bears brunt of unsafe food deaths totalling 351,000 a year. Unsafe food is responsible for an estimated 351,000 deaths a year and children under five are the victims of contamination in more than 40 per cent of cases, UN health experts said Thursday.
- 04/01/2015 Updated Case Counts (From WHO SitReps). Countries with Widespread Transmission, Countries with an Initial Case or Cases and/or Localized Transmission, Previously Affected Countries.
- 04/02/2015 Ebola data and statistics. Reports 25 228 cases and 10 462 deaths in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone