Avoid Nonessential Travel
- Ebola standing travel notice. CDC urges all US residents to avoid nonessential travel to Guinea and Sierra Leone because of unprecedented outbreaks of Ebola in those countries.
U.S. Department of State
- 08/05/2015 Cameroon Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the high risk of traveling to Cameroon, and urges U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to the North and Far North regions of Cameroon due to the general threat of terrorism, particularly by the extremist terrorist group Boko Haram, murder and kidnappings targeting westerners, and violent criminal activity.
Take Enhanced Precautions
- 08/12/2015 Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) – Saudi Arabia. Between 3 and 9 August 2015, the National IHR Focal Point for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia notified WHO of 17 additional cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection, including 3 deaths.
- 08/11/2015 Cholera – South Sudan. Cholera cases have been declining since 20 July 2015 but continue to be a great threat to young children and other vulnerable groups in South Sudan. As of 10 August 2015, a total of 1519 cholera cases have been reported since June with children under five and 5-9 years of age being most affected in Juba and Bor counties.
- 08/10/2015 Chikungunya – Spain. On 3 August 2015, WHO was notified by the National IHR Focal Point for Spain of a case of chikungunya infection in the city of Gandia, Valencian Community. This is the first time that an individual with no history of travel to a chikungunya-endemic area tests positive for the disease in Spain.
- 08/06/2015 Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) – Saudi Arabia. Between 28 and 29 July 2015, the National IHR Focal Point for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia notified WHO of 2 additional cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection.
U.S. Department of State
- 08/07/2015 Haiti Travel Alert. The State Department alerts U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Haiti to the upcoming elections scheduled for August 9, October 25, and December 27, 2015 to exercise caution and remain abreast of the security situation throughout the electoral period.
- 08/05/2015 Iran Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to Iran. Dual national Iranian-American citizens may encounter difficulty in departing Iran. U.S. citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and carefully consider nonessential travel.
- 08/05/2015 Haiti Travel Warning. The Department of State has issued this Travel Warning to inform U.S. citizens traveling to or living in Haiti about the lack of adequate emergency medical facilities, and the security environment in Haiti.
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
- 08/12/2015 Summary of public health threats, CDTR week 32/2015. This issue covers the period 2 to 8 August 2015 and includes updates on a fatal case of anthrax following animal exposure in Bulgaria, cases of West Nile virus in Europe and the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
The risk information in this report is retrieved from U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, and other professional sources as listed in the post. It provides general guidance for UT Dallas travelers. Please note the revision date (mmddyy) of this report, printed on the title of the post, and go to the direct sources listed for the most up-to-date information. The information in this report may change without prior notice.