Take Enhanced Precautions
- Avian Flu (H7N9) in China. Chinese health authorities have confirmed human cases of avian influenza A (H7N9) since September 2016. CDC advises people traveling to China to avoid contact with poultry (including poultry markets and farms), birds, and their droppings and to avoid eating undercooked poultry. Infected birds that appear healthy may still be able to transmit this virus to humans.
- Borno State (Nigeria) Reports First Lassa Fever Outbreak in 48 Years. Borno state in northeast Nigeria has recorded its first Lassa fever outbreak in almost five decades. The last confirmed outbreak of the deadly disease was in 1969. WHO is supporting the government to contain the outbreak in an area of the country which is already coping with a humanitarian crisis resulting from years of conflict.
U.S. Department of State
- Worldwide Caution. The Department of State has updated its Worldwide Caution to provide information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. U.S. citizens need to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness. This replaces the Worldwide Caution dated September 9, 2016.
Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- ENAWO-17 Madagascar (231.5km/h). Tropical Cyclone ENAWO-17 can have a high humanitarian impact based on the Maximum sustained wind speed and the affected population and their vulnerability.
Recommended Reading / Viewing
International SOS newsroom
- Health Tips: What to do if you get food poisoning in a foreign country
- 6 Tips for Preventing Laptop Data Theft
The risk information in this report is retrieved from U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, and other professional sources as listed in the post. It provides general guidance for UT Dallas travelers. Please note the revision date (mmddyy) of this report, printed on the title of the post, and go to the direct sources listed for the most up-to-date information. The information in this report may change without prior notice.