The aviation security enhancements will include requiring that all personal electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage at the airports where flights are departing for the United States or the UK.
We recommend UT Dallas travelers to:
If you are currently outside of the U.S.
- Anticipate possible security delays at pre-departure screening at the affected airports while the new procedures are being implemented.
- Comply with all security directives from airport authorities. Those wishing to minimize disruption may wish to consider placing large electronic items in checked luggage in anticipation of the ban’s implementation.
- Monitor the TSA, Department of Homeland Security, and Department of Transport (UK) websites for up-to-date information on changes to regulations.
- Consult the relevant airport or airline directly for more information on new security screening processes prior to setting out for a US or UK bound flight from or transiting through an affected airport.
- Monitor alerts for further information.
If you have not yet departed
UT Dallas provides the following services to travelers who do not wish to carry their work laptop, however want to have access to their information.
- Consult with the Office of Research Compliance if you have questions about carrying your research data. E-mail email@example.com
- Use Box.com. Box is a UT Dallas cloud-based service where staff and faculty can store information in the cloud securely if needed when overseas.
- Borrow a clean unencrypted laptop from Information Security. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
If presenting only, consider taking your presentation on a USB drive, or send it to yourself on an email.
- Department of Homeland Security Fact Sheet: Aviation Security Enhancements for Select Last Point of Departure Airports with Commercial Flights to the United States
- Department of Homeland Security Q&A: Aviation Security Enhancements for Select Last Point of Departure Airports with Commercial Flights to the United States
- Department of Transport (UK): Additional hand luggage restrictions on some flights to the UK
- International SOS: Large electronic items to be banned from select in-bound airports
- Google News: laptop ban from cabin
Announcements from Airlines
This list is not inclusive, please consult with the relevant airport or airline directly for more information on security or screening processes. We are adding announcements as brought to our attention. Please e-mail ICRSO@utdallas.edu with the link to the airline’s official announcement.
- British Airways
- Egypt Air
- Etihad Airways
- Kuwait Airways
- Middle East Airlines
- Pegasus Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Royal Air Maroc
- Royal Jordanian
- Saudia Airways: UK and US.
- Thomson Airways: UK and US
- Tomas Cook
- Turkish Airlines
We wish you safe travels!
The risk information in this report is retrieved from the listed sources. It provides general guidance for UT Dallas travelers. Please note the publication date of this post, and go to the direct sources listed above for the most up-to-date information. The information in this post may change without prior notice.