Avoid Nonessential Travel
U.S. Department of State
- Ukraine Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to Crimea and the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.
- Burundi Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Burundi due to political tensions, political and criminal violence, and the potential for civil unrest.
- Algeria Travel Warning. The Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens against travel to remote areas of Algeria due to the threat of terrorist attacks and kidnapping.
- Iraq Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against all travel to Iraq.
- Burkina Faso Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Burkina Faso, and recommends they avoid travel to the northern part of the Sahel region, and exercise caution in the rest of Burkina Faso, due to continuing threats to safety and security, including terrorism.
Take Enhanced Precautions
- MERS in the Arabian Peninsula. The following countries in or near the Arabian Peninsula have confirmed MERS: Bahrain, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudia Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. Neighboring countries where precautions are recommended: Iraq, Israel, including the West Bank and Gaza, and Syria.
- Chickenpox (varicella) in Pakistan. Health officials in Pakistan have reported a large outbreak of chickenpox, also known as varicella. Cases in children and adults, including deaths, have been reported in 10 districts.
U.S. Department of State
- Colombia Travel Warning. The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risk of travel to Colombia. U.S. citizens should exercise caution, as violence linked to domestic insurgency, narco-trafficking, crime, and kidnapping occur in some rural and urban areas.
- Ethiopia Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Ethiopia due to the potential for civil unrest and arbitrary detention since a state of emergency was imposed in October 2016.
- Chad Travel Warning. The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of ongoing tensions and potential terrorist activity throughout Chad.
- Hurricane and Typhoon Season 2017 Travel Alert. The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the Hurricane and Typhoon Seasons in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, the Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico.
Recommended Reading / Viewing
- Hajj and Umrah in Saudi Arabia. The annual Hajj, or pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, is among the largest mass gatherings in the world. Because of the crowds, mass gatherings such as Hajj and Umrah are associated with unique health risks. Before you go, you should visit a travel health specialist for advice, make sure you are up to date on all routine and recommended vaccines, and learn about other health and safety issues that could affect you during your trip.
- Heat Wave
- Are you at risk of getting easily sunburned?
- Throughout a heat wave
The risk information in this report is retrieved from U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, and other professional sources as listed in the post. It provides general guidance for UT Dallas travelers. Please note the revision date (mmddyy) of this report, printed on the title of the post, and go to the direct sources listed for the most up-to-date information. The information in this report may change without prior notice.