The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has updated the Aviation Security Enhancements for select last point of departure airports with commercial flights to the United States.
There are more than 280 last-point-of-departure airports with direct commercial flights to the U.S., in 105 countries around the world. The enhanced security measures include but are not limited to:
- Enhancing overall passenger screening;
- Conducting heightened screening of personal electronic devices;
- Increasing security protocols around aircraft and in passenger areas; and
- Deploying advanced technology, expanding canine screening, and establishing additional preclearance locations.
Enhancements impacting the ability to carry large electronics in the cabin apply as of this update to one specific airport: King Khalid International Airport (RUH).
We recommend UT Dallas travelers to:
If you are returning to the U.S.
- Anticipate delays due to enhanced screening protocols. Some airlines are advising travelers to arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to their scheduled departure time and to proceed to their departure gate promptly to allow extra time to clear security.
- Comply with all security directives from airport authorities.
- Consult the relevant airport or airline directly for more information on new security screening processes prior to setting out for a US-bound flight.
- Monitor the TSA and Department of Homeland Security websites up-to-date information on changes to regulations.
If you have not yet departed from the U.S.
UT Dallas provides the following services to travelers who do not wish to carry their work laptop, however want to have access to their information.
- Consult with the Office of Research Compliance if you have questions about carrying your research data. E-mail email@example.com
- Use Box.com. Box is a UT Dallas cloud-based service where staff and faculty can store information in the cloud securely if needed when overseas.
- Borrow a clean unencrypted laptop from Information Security. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consider taking your presentation on a USB drive, or send it to yourself on an email.
- Department of Homeland Security Fact Sheet: Aviation Enhanced Security Measures for All Commercial Flights to the U.S.
- Department of Homeland Security Fact Sheet: Aviation Security Enhancements for Select Last Point of Departure Airports with Commercial Flights to the United States
- Department of Homeland Security Q&A: Aviation Security Enhancements for Select Last Point of Departure Airports with Commercial Flights to the United States
We wish you safe travels!
The risk information in this report is retrieved from the listed sources. It provides general guidance for UT Dallas travelers. Please note the publication date of this post, and go to the direct sources listed above for the most up-to-date information. The information in this post may change without prior notice.