UT Dallas faculty, staff and students have the following resources and compliance requirements to meet around the electronic devices they plan to take on their travel.
Export Control and the Exchange of Information
The Office of Research Compliance Office (ORC) manages compliances with export control regulations that relate to research at UT Dallas. For detailed information about how UT Dallas complies with export control regulations please visit the ORC Export Control webpage or contact us at 972-883-4579. Faculty members and other travelers should be aware that:
- Electronic devices (laptop, PDA, etc.) are subject to export controls. Obtain a Temporary Exception Certification prior to departure for UTD-owned devices and equipment. Be ready to show this certification upon request.
- Faculty members with Technology Control Plans should not travel with controlled research data on their electronic devices.
- Researchers who require a determination concerning whether their research is subject to export control regulations should contact ORC during proposal development.
Devices Security and Encryption
Contact the Information Security Office (ISO) at email@example.com for assistance on the following services for travelers:
- Check if your destination has laws that prohibit encryption.
- Some countries will not allow entry with encrypted devices.
- Countries who have signed the Wassenaar agreement DO allow entry with encrypted devices. A listing of these countries can be found at: http://www.wassenaar.org/participating-states/.
- UT Dallas staff and faculty can:
- Check out an unencrypted laptop for travel, if the destination does not allow encrypted devices.
- Use Box.com. Box is a UT Dallas cloud-based service where staff and faculty can store information in the cloud securely if needed when overseas. You can now log in and create your account at https://utdallas.app.box.com.
- Set up VPN to access UT Dallas computers remotely. Find instructions at UTD VPN.
- Review the Information Security Compliance training for more information.
- Follow UT Dallas Standards for Mobile Computing Devices and Laptops
- Learn more about Mobile Security. Read the To Do List – Mobile Security handout or watch the Securing your Mobile Devices video. Contact the ISO at 972 883 6810 if you have any questions.
Inventory – Requesting approval to take UT Dallas equipment off campus
- Follow the procedure to take university equipment off campus
- Send an encrypted email message to your department head requesting approval for this. Your message should include your name, your UTD ID, and the off-campus location where your asset will be used. If the asset will be kept permanently off-campus, your message should also include the name of the responsible university official (RUO).
- If your department head approves your request, he/she must forward your encrypted email message to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive confirmation via email when that asset’s record has been updated.
Missing or Stolen UT Dallas computer equipment
- Contact the local authorities at your destination immediately to report the missing or stolen computer.
- Call International SOS 24/7 at +1-215-942-8059, to report the missing or stolen computer. ISOS will notify the International Center. The International Center will submit your report to your department and to the Office of Research compliance.
The information on this page may change without notice